Tuesday, May 5, 2020

the nostalgia project: the Squamish years, Canada (2012-2017)

I have not written anything fresh for this project for the six years after I moved to Squamish as most of my significant ascents and experiences have already been documented in this blog. For example:

2012: The Fleeing Heifer and Blackwater, two Squamish 5.12 classics.

2013: Just Can't Do It and Project Grizzly, my first 5.13a and b, respectively. Also, onsighting Crime of the Century.

2015: Onsighting Freeway.

2016: Horne Lake's Jesus Save the Pushers, the "world's best 5.13a".

2017: Wedge Mountain, the highest summit in Garibaldi Provincial Park, with Leo.

There is an obvious omission here, which is 2014. I rock climbed on 99 days, according to the diary, but did nothing so meaningful that it inspired me to write. The year was sort of notable for my first overnight splitboard tours (not exactly climbing though plenty of uphill action), which I did document. I'll let that blog post represent the year.