Tuesday, June 19, 2012

T-50

In fifty days I start a lifestyle experiment. The key elements of it: relocating 11 timezones west to a scruffy coastal town in British Columbia, Canada; abandoning a lucrative office job for living from savings and a couple of tenuous business ventures; dragging my family (wife and two sons) with me; fully committing to the "sport" - rock climbing - that has been the constant strand through all my adult life and most of my childhood too. The experiment is open-ended though I can envisage several issues that may cut things short. Injury is one. Family dissatisfaction another. And finances, of course.

I plan to write about two main things: the evolution of my rock climbing during this period and observations about Squamish, which is an interesting place grappling uncertainly with its post-industrial condition. 

That will do for now!

Squamish waterfront and the Chief